In part two of Next Food Network Star the hopefuls must lead tourists on a food tour of New York City and later prepare dishes commonly found in different New York City neighborhoods. Last week Alton lost one contestant from his team so he is a slight disadvantage.
The teams are as follows;
- Eric Lee - Petaluma, Calif.
- Kara Sigle - Chicago, Illinois
- Malcolm Mitchell - Washington, D.C.
- Michelle Ragussis - Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Nikki Martin - West Hollywood, Calif.
- Martie Duncan – Birmingham, Ala.
- Emily Ellyn – Ohio / Orlando, Fla.
- Judson Allen – Chicago, Illinois
- Justin Warner - Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Josh Lyons – Jupiter, Fla.
- Linkie Marais – North Attleborough, Mass.
- Martita Jara – San Diego, Calif.
- Phillip “Ippy” Aiona – Hawaii.
- Yvan Lemoine – New York
Each team is assigned a different ethnic neighborhood in N.Y.C. and must visit those neighborhoods and visit local establishments to get ideas to create a dish that they will present to tourists and the network executives with a short presentation on how they were inspired from the establishments visited.
Alton assigns four Kosher foods from the Lower East Side in a predominately Jewish neighborhood. They then return to the kitchen to create their dishes before giving their tour on a tour bus and presenting their dishes.
- Martie Duncan – Pastrami – Deli – Puffed Pastrami Sandwich
- Emily Ellyn -Matzah - Matzah Factory – Matzah Meatloaf
- Judson Allen – Pickles – The Pickle Guys – Cole Slaw 2 ways
- Justin Warner – Bialy – Bakery – Bialy Chips
Justin is up first and gives a good presentation and everyone likes his chips. Martie tells a short story about Katz Deli and everyone likes her puffed pastrami. Emily gets car sick in the middle of her presentation and looses her train of thought but everyone loves her meat loaf. Judson totally blows his presentation and it detracts from his cole slaw.
Bobby assigns the following ingredients that his team has to use from Harlem. Soul food is on the menu for team Bobby. They visit famous places known for the particular ingredients and then return to the kitchen to prepare their dishes.
- Eric Lee – Bakery – Sweet Cheese Turnover
- Kara Sigle - Restaurant -Waffles & Chicken
- Malcolm Mitchell – Butcher – BBQ Ribs, Beans & Rice
- Michelle Ragussis - Restaurant – Catfish Sliders & Collard Greens
- Nikki Martin – Restaurant – Grilled BBQ Shrimp
Eric gives a good presentation on the bus and everyone loves his turnover. Kara’s presentation is not very good and her food is not liked by anyone. Malcolm brings a great presentation and everyone likes his food. Michele falters on her presentation and her food lacks flavor. Nikki does a good job with her presentation and her food.
Giada team visits Little Italy for dish inspiration and Italian food is on the menu. They get inspiration and return to the kitchen to prepare the following dishes.
- Josh Lyons – Meat Market – Sausage & Peppers Crostini
- Linkie Marais – Bakery – Cannoli Cheese Cake
- Martita Jara – Fish Monger – Seafood Ceviche
- Phillip “Ippy” Aiona – Restaurant – Eggplant Soup
- Yvan Lemoine – Deli – Antipasto on a skewer
Josh was first up and bored everyone to death with a story and average food. Linkie had a good story and great cake. Everyone loved Ippy and his soup. Everyone liked Martita and her food was o.k. Yvan had a great presentation but his skewer was not memorable.
The team leaders went over the day with their teams pointing out the good and bad. They then went before the network, Bob and Susie to find out which team won and would be safe from elimination.
Bob and Susie tells Team Giada that they did the best job and are safe from elimination. They are told that they can leave the room. Bob and Susie choose Kara from Bobby’s team and Judson from Alton’s team to take the Producers Challenge. The loser will be eliminated.
Create the best and most memorable dish using potato’s. Then do a 1 minute camera presentation to introduce their dish.
Kara prepares Twice Baked Potato’s and does a pretty good presentation. Judson prepares Potato Crusted Salmon and a not so believable presentation.
Susie and Bob watch Kara’s presentation first and then taste her dish. They like both but say they have tasted twice baked potato’s before. They watch Judson’s presentation and taste his food. They told him his presentation was not believable and the potato was not the star of his dish.
After some deliberation they eliminated Kara and told Judson he was safe.
*Josh Lyons was fortunate to be on the winning team. In the bottom last week and a poor performance this week as well would have eliminated him for sure.
*Judson Allen did not perform as well as Kara in the Producers Challenge tonight. Only Kara’s two weeks of less than memorable moments saved Judson.
images courtesy of foodnetwork.com